Tuesday, August 11, 2026

An Ode to Barrio 7

Well, after 5 years, 4 months, and about 20 days, Obispo Anderson was officially released! A few weeks prior, we had a big party with his couselors, executive secretary, and clerks to celebrate. We love these people so much!

(Hno. I. Lopez 2c, Travis, Hno. R. Lopez, 1c, Hno. Badillo clerk, Hno. Ensaldo ex.sec, Hno. Cruz EQP, and Hno. Stevenson YM advisor)

Travis liked having two counselors with the same last name. He would say, "if you need anything, ask Hno Lopez!" Ha, ha.

It has been such a wonderful, growing experience serving in our ward. It's been 15 years! I told our ward that sometimes I feel like Ammon in the Book of Mormon, in that no one seems to understand why we chose to serve amongst these people, but here we have witnessed such great faith, even more than amongst the Nephites. Many of the members endure such great afflictions, yet press forward in their faith in Christ.

Another fun party with our friends 

There was one instance where a family from a neighboring English ward went through something tragic. Travis talked to their bishop and he said their RS president was having a hard time finding more people to take dinner to this family, that they had filled up 2 weeks but were hoping for more. Travis asked our own RS president if there was anything we could do to help, and she responded with something like, "Bishop, no one in our ward does not know what it is to suffer." We filled 3 months of dinner slots for this family no one knew, and many couldn't even speak the same language.

We've had so many spiritual experiences like this where I feel like our family could not get anywhere else. I hope my kids always remember them.


No comments:

Post a Comment